June 23rd, 2014
Perhaps there is no other body part that is as highly coveted by women (and men) than a firm, toned derriere. Sculpting the perfect behind can be laborious and challenging task but well worth the effort. We have the recipe for an out of this world posterior and with the right amount of persistence and dedication you won’t be hiding from that string bikini this summer. Added bonus: since this well rounded, weight bearing workout targets all the major muscles of the glutes and thighs you’ll also burn a significant amount of calories!
Exercises 1 – 3 should be done in a circuit format, each exercise completed 3 times through with 60 seconds of rest in between each circuit. Select an appropriate weight for each exercise that you can perform 15 challenging reps with.
1. Good Mornings, 15 reps
- Holding the barbell on the shoulders behind the head, slowly bend forward, maintaining an arch in the lower back until the torso is parallel with the floor. Return to standing and repeat
2. Split Squats, 12 reps
- Holding a dumbbell in each hand at arm’s length at your sides stand in a staggered stance with left foot 2 to 3 feet in front of the right, knees slightly bent. Brace your core. Slowly lower your body as far as you can until your right knee almost touches the floor, pause momentarily and push your body back to the starting position using a slow controlled tempo. Finish 12 reps and switch sides.
3. Sumo Goblet Squats, 15 reps
- Holding a kettlebell in both hands close to the chest stand with feet slightly farther than shoulder width apart and toes pointed out. Keeping back straight and abs locked, slowly lower the hips into a seated position until thighs are parallel with the floor making sure knees are in line with the ankle. Slowly return to a standing position and repeat.
Exercises 4 – 6 should also be done in a circuit format, each exercise completed 3 times through with 60 seconds of rest in between each circuit.
4. Single Arm Hold Front Lunge, 12 reps
- Holding a dumbbell in the right hand stand with feet shoulder width apart. Brace your core. Take a big step forward with right leg bending the knee at a 90 degree angle while lowering the left knee nearly to the floor. Return to start position, repeat for 12 reps then switch sides.
5. TRX Alternating Curtsy Lunges, 15 reps
- Begin by lowering down into a reverse lunge position and reaching the rear leg diagonally back to the 4 o’clock position. On the way up bring that rear leg way out to the 9 o’clock position and line up the ankle, knee and hip joint while keeping the back leg straight.
6. Plyo Ball Hamstring Curls, 15 reps
- Lie on back on the floor with calves elevated resting on the ball. Lift hips toward the ceiling and draw the ball in with your feet and push back out. Return to starting position and repeat.